Our privacy commitment
Tailored Energy Pty Ltd ABN 50 615 544 548 (‘myTE’, ‘we’ or ‘us’) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This policy explains how we manage the personal information that we collect, use and disclose that information and how to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information. This policy does not cover personal information collected about our employees.
myTE is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), which regulate how we may collect, use, disclose and store personal information, and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them. myTE is also required to comply with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth).
What is personal information?
When we refer to personal information we mean information or an opinion about you, from which you are, or may be reasonably identified. This information may include your name, date of birth, driver’s licence number, marital status, phone number, email address, address, nationality or employment history.
Due to the nature of our services we do not collect sensitive information (such as information about religion, political opinion, health sexual preference or criminal record).
How does myTE collect and hold your personal information?
myTE will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means. myTE collects personal information in a variety of ways. It is myTE’s usual practice to collect personal information directly from you (or from your authorised representative), for example when:
- you enquire about or seek a quotation for a product or service offered by our participating providers;
- you apply for or purchase a product offered by us and or our participating providers;
- you contact us by telephone, via mail, e-mail or online;
- you download and use our mobile application;
- you visit our website (including when you request a quote);
- your energy bill;
- we supply any other products or services to you; or
- you enter into any trade promotions, competitions, specials or other offers with myTE or its direct partners.
We do not sell, rent or trade personal information to or with 3rd parties. We may however disclose your personal information to a 3rd party contractor who provide services to us, or when required by law.
Before you provide us with personal information about another person (such as a family member), please make sure that you tell them about this policy, and obtain their consent.
What kinds of personal information does myTE collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, participating provider, contractor, stakeholder, job applicant or in some other capacity.
For example, if you request a quote for a product or service offered by our participating providers, we may collect your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth and any other information required to provide you with the quote. If you deal with us in some other capacity (for example, as a participating provider, a supplier or a stakeholder), we may collect your name, contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
Any personal information that you provide via our website or mobile application or contact centre (for example, for comparison purposes, to obtain a quote or to purchase products) is collected and stored by myTE.
We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or required by law to collect that information).
Some of the products offered by our participating providers can cover more than one person (for example, a family and or couples.) If you provide us with information about a family member, you warrant that you have their permission to do so.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services or do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
How does myTE use your personal information?
We use personal information for a variety of reasons including to:
- provide services and products you requested;
- verify your identity;
- assess, process and manage your application to work with us;
- data analytics;
- complaints handling;
- answer your inquiries and deliver customer service;
- tell our customers and prospective customers about other products, services or promotional offers that we think may be of interest to them;
- ensure we comply with the requirements of our participating providers;
- maintain and improve our customer service;
- perform credit checks;
- meet our regulatory and legal obligations;
- manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints and issues;
- manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and stakeholders;
- carry out internal functions including training; and
- conduct marketing research and analysis.
We may also use your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
In what circumstances will myTE disclose your personal information?
In the course of conducting our business and providing our products and services to you, we may disclose your personal information. In particular, your personal information may be shared between the myTE businesses for the purposes outlined in this policy.
We may also disclose your personal information to, where appropriate:
- professional advisers (such as lawyers or auditors);
- our contracted service providers, including:
- information technology service providers;
- payment systems operators and financial institutions;
- organisations to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- law enforcement agencies or government authorities (where we are required to do so by law); and
- any persons acting on your behalf including those persons nominated by you, executors, trustees and legal representatives.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for other purposes required or authorised by or under law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct. In all circumstances where your personal information is disclosed, we will take all steps reasonable to ensure that these third parties undertake to protect your privacy.
If you are a customer or a potential customer, from time to time we may contact you with information about products and services offered by myTE and our business partners, which we reasonably consider may be of interest to you. When we contact you it may be by mail, telephone, email, push notifications, SMS or social media. We will always give you the opportunity to express a wish not to receive direct marketing communications. Where you have created an account with us and opted to receive direct marketing communications in the above ways, you may at any stage opt out of receiving direct marketing communications (see below).
If you want to know how we obtained your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided and we will let you know unless it is impracticable or unreasonable to do so.
How can you opt out of receiving direct marketing?
You can let us know at any time if you do not want the personal information we hold about you to be used or disclosed for direct marketing purposes, or you do not wish to be contacted in any of the above ways, by contacting us. In some circumstances, we may need to contact you to obtain additional information, to verify your identity or to clarify your request.
If you wish to unsubscribe from future marketing and promotional material, please email “Unsubscribe” to email@example.com.
Does myTE disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Some of our service providers may be located overseas. As a result, myTE may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, including recipients located in the United States, Philippines and Ireland. For example, sometimes we use third party platforms to deliver or store information. These are sites hosted and managed by other organisations, and some of these sites are located overseas.
Your personal information may be stored in a secure and encrypted form overseas (e.g. in data storage and cloud computing facilities operated by us (or by third parties on myTE’s behalf).
No use of Government Identifiers
myTE will not use Australian Commonwealth government-related identifiers, such as Medicare numbers, or a driver’s license number, as its own identifier of individuals.
Data quality and Security
We may store your information in hardcopy and/or in electronic form. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
This may include a range of systems and communication security measures, as well as the secure storage of hard copy documents. In addition, access to your personal information will be restricted to those properly authorised to have such access.
We rely on the personal information we hold in conducting our business. Therefore, it is very important that the information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe that your personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, and irrelevant or misleading, please update your details in the application and we will take reasonable steps to correct that information.
Website usage and mobile application
Our website and mobile application is professionally hosted and operates in a secure environment. You should however be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your personal information via the Internet.
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer for record-keeping purposes. The information collected may be used by myTE to improve and customise your experience on our website or mobile application. In addition, we collect aggregated non-personally identifiable data from our website and/or mobile application to help us maintain and improve delivery of the myTE online service and marketing. This aggregated information assists myTE to improve content and website navigation.
When you visit any of our online resources, our system may collect information about your visit for statistical purposes, including:
- server address;
- top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded during your visit;
- the previous site you visited;
- if you’ve visited our site before; and
- the type of browser used.
We record this data to maintain our server and improve our services. There are several methods and packages that we use to collect visitor behaviours on each of our online platforms. Like a number of commercial web site operators, we use tools to measure and analyse internet usage across our web sites. This enables us to track the number of unique browsers to our web sites.
Links to third party sites
Sometimes our website contains links to other websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a website other than www.myte.com.au please understand that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We recommend that you review policies of each site you visit.
How you can access or correct your personal information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details provided and we will generally provide you with access, subject to some exceptions permitted by law.
Access to personal information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where:
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not normally be accessible as part of those proceedings;
- providing access would be unlawful;
- denying access is required by law;
- providing access would be likely to prejudice enforcement related activities conducted by an enforcement body;
- giving access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process; or
- access would pose a threat to the life, health or safety of any individual or to public health or safety.
If we deny or restrict access to the information you have requested, we will give you written reasons for this decision when we respond to your request. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover our costs of providing access to you and will advise you of any such fee payable before we provide you with access.
How you can make a privacy complaint
Please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided, if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days.
If you consider your privacy concerns have not been resolved satisfactorily by us, or you wish to obtain more information on privacy requirements, you can contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au.
How to contact us
- have queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by myTE;
- would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you.
Please contact our Privacy Officer:
The Privacy Officer
My Tailored Energy
4/ 17-19 Bridge Street
Updated 31 May 2017